Winter Fuel Payment 2021: Get help paying your bills this winter – are you eligible?

Winter fuel payments: Johnson responds to calls for expansion

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

November marks the first month of winter fuel payments, with most eligible people automatically receiving the annual tax-free payment towards energy bills. However, some eligible people may have to file a claim with the Government in order to receive their winter fuel payment.

Am I eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment 2021?

The Winter Fuel Payment is, in most cases, automatically sent to people who are eligible.

The payment is usually between £100 and £300 and for the purpose of helping with bills during the winter months.

For 2021, the Government has stated people born on or before September 26, 1955, are eligible for the payment.

However, they must have also lived in the UK for at least one day during the week of September 20 to 26, 2021 – this is called the “qualifying week”.

People who did not live in the UK during the “qualifying week” may also be eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment if they live in Switzerland or the European Economic Area (EEA) and have a “genuine and sufficient link to the UK”.

These include having lived or worked in the UK at some point or having family in the country.

However, the Government states: “You cannot get a Winter Fuel Payment if you live in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain.”

Most people who fit into this criteria will not need to claim their payment from the Government.

Seize lasting powers NOW – protect finances against dementia and Covid [WARNING]
Half a million pensioners missing out on free TV licence [INSIGHT]
State pension amount: How much you could get each year [ADVICE]

If you have previously received a Winter Fuel Payment, you do not need to claim as it will automatically be sent to you.

But there are some instances in which people may be eligible, but will need to file a claim.

People who have not received a Winter Fuel Payment previously and do not get benefits or a State Pension may need to file a claim.

The same applies to those who only received Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit, as well as people who get benefits or State Pension but live in Switzerland or the EEA.

You may also need to file a claim if, since your last Winter Fuel Payment, you have deferred your State Pension or moved to Switzerland or an EEA country.

How can I file a claim for my Winter Fuel Payment 2021?

Claims can be filed by post or by phone.

By phone, you will need to provide your National Insurance number, bank or building society details, your BIC and IBAN numbers if you live in an EEA country or Switzerland, and the date you entered into a marriage or civil partnership if applicable.

You must also be able to provide details of where you were during the “qualifying week”.

People hoping to claim by post will need to fill in a Winter Fuel Payment form, though these vary depending on where you live.

Details of the specific forms are available on the Government website.

Get the latest three-day weather forecast where you live. Find out by adding your postcode or visit InYourArea

When will I receive my Winter Fuel Payment for 2021?

The Winter Fuel Payment is usually distributed between November and December.

You should get your money by January 14, 2022, at the very latest.

Source: Read Full Article