Pensioners at risk of losing £407 a month if they fail to report changes to DWP

Those claiming Attendance Allowance can claim up to £407 a month, however by failing to report changes, their payments could be altered.

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if someone has a disability severe enough that they need someone to help look after them.

It is paid at two different rates and how much someone gets depends on the level of care that they need because of their disability.

Pensioners in receipt of Attendance Allowance could end up losing £407 a month if they fail to report life changes to the Government.

The Department for Work and Pension (DWP) website states: “You could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty if you give wrong information or do not report a change in your circumstances.”

If circumstances change, the amount someone gets from Attendance Allowance may go up or down.

A person must contact the Attendance Allowance helpline straight away if:

  • the level of help you need or your condition changes – you’ll need to provide details like if the amount of times you need help each day has changed
  • you go into hospital or a care home – you’ll need to provide the address, the dates you’ve been there for, and how your stay is paid for
  • you leave the country for more than four weeks
  • you go into prison
  • you change your name, address or bank details
  • you want to stop receiving your benefit
  • your doctor’s details change
  • your immigration status changes, if you’re not a British citizen

To report a change in circumstances, Britons can call 0800 731 0122.

Britons may find they have to repay some money to the DWP if they did not report a change straight away, they gave the wrong information or they were overpaid by mistake.

People can claim Attendance Allowance by either printing and submitting the Attendance Allowance claim form or contacting the helpline to request a claim form.

Attendance Allowance is paid weekly at two different rates – the one someone gets depends on the level of help they need.

It’s not means-tested so what someone earns or how much they have in savings will not affect what they get.

‌The lower rate is worth £68.10 and Britons may get this if they need frequent help or constant supervision during the day, or supervision at night.

Don’t miss…
NatWest issues warning as dad left with ‘no chance of a house’ after £100k loss[LATEST]
Nationwide offers ‘highly competitive’ 4.75% on fixed rate savings account[LATEST]
Brilliant pensions tax break saves thousands but millions don’t know it exists[LATEST]

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The higher rate is worth £101.75 and Britons may get this if they need help or supervision throughout both day and night, or a medical professional has said they might have 12 months or less to live.‌

People can get Attendance Allowance if they’ve reached state pension age and the following apply (unless you might have 12 months or less to live):

  • they have a physical disability (including sensory disability, for example, blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both
  • their disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for themselves or someone to supervise them, for their own or someone else’s safety
  • they have needed that help for at least six months

‌On its website, Carers UK outlines who is eligible for the DWP benefit while noting the restrictions placed on applicants.

The charity stated: “Getting Attendance Allowance does not reduce other benefits, it may even increase them.

“If you have a carer then claiming Attendance Allowance may help them to qualify for certain benefits. Attendance Allowance may also entitle you and/ or your carer to further help with council tax.

“There are no restrictions on how you can spend your Attendance Allowance, and you do not have to spend it on paying for the care that you need.

“However, your council or trust can take Attendance Allowance into account when calculating how much you might need to pay for any care services you receive.”

Source: Read Full Article